Monday, February 25, 2008

Deceptively Delicious!

Since we are going to be spending more time at home, I am motivated to start cooking better. My kids definitely have a hard time eating vegetables. I received a recipe book from Chad for Valentine’s Day, by Jessica Seinfeld about vegetable purees that you can add to your foods.

I decided to attack the puree process this weekend. I made her banana bread with whole wheat flour, bananas, cinnamon and CAULIFLOWER! Surprisingly, the kids loved the bread. I also tried her macaroni and cheese tonight with CAULIFLOWER. The kids ate that as well. I am not a huge cauliflower fan and can taste it a bit, but still liked it, so I want to try some of the recipes with carrots, sweet potatoes, or squash. If anything, it is giving me some new ideas of how to add vegetables to my own recipes. I also went out, splurged and bought myself a rice steamer, I always thought that rice steamers were for rice only, but to my surprise you can steam many different veggies in there without taking out the nutrients. One of my favorites was what Chad made on Sunday, tomato, basil, garlic marinated chicken on the grill with red potatoes and carrots cooked in my new steamer and it only took 20 minutes to steam.







2 comments:

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

Just got the cookbook too! The things we do to get vegetables in them. I have really liked it though. It looks like a beautiful day there and such happy kids, that makes me smile.
Love and prayers.

aubs33 said...

I got that cookbook for Christmas. It's really neat hu? We like the blueberry bars with spinach. I love hiding stuff in my kids food. When they don't notice, I feel such victory, lol!