Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chad and I took the kids to the park tonight. It was the most amazing, incredible feeling as I sat back and watched the kids play. I watched Payton as his big blue eyes intently watched the other kids on the playground. He has been out so little and has had such little interaction around other kids that it was neat to watch him be so excited to play. I watched him closely and wished that I could read his little mind as I wondered what was going through his little head as he grinned the whole time. I felt such happiness and joy as I was able to watch his little body run free and it made me wonder if I’d be watching him this intently if we hadn’t been through the nightmare we’ve lived through the past year. It’s made me slow down, evaluate what’s important in my life and enjoy the smallest littlest moments that life has to offer. I closely watched Savannah and felt happy as I watched her smile as well. She probably feels as if she hasn’t had her family to do things like this with her much over the past year. She spent most of her time swinging; I also wondered what she was thinking as well as I watched her beautiful blonde hair soar in the wind. When Savannah was a little girl, she used to hate the swing. She would scream and clinch. You wouldn’t know that now, she swung like she was free without a care in the world and I thought to myself that she so deserves that happiness as well after everything that she has been through. I thought to myself that this is the life that kids should have. What great kids that I have. I feel truly blessed, proud and so happy that I have them both. I’m not sure what I would ever do without them. I have to admit that since all this has happened with Payton I spend a lot of time watching my kids and thinking and asking myself what if they weren’t here tomorrow, how would I want to spend my last day with them? I’ve quickly learned how quick your life can be turned upside. Enjoy them, love them and take care of them, since we never know what tomorrow might bring. And if you are going through a struggle right now, pray for strength and you will be given the strength to get through whatever challenge you are going through.

3 comments:

Jennifer Crawford said...

Thanks for the advice- I hope that it's that easy!

Carl & Lannis said...

Hi Emily,
I finally got a blogger account so i could leave a comment. Wow you are such an inspiration to me. I am typing through the tears. Thank you so much for taking the time to blog this experience and being willing to share it with us. There hasn't been a prayer said in our home that hasn't had Payton in it and we are so happy that you are to the end of the treatments. We will continue to pray for him and for your family. I just want to tell you that looking at Savannah is like looking at you at her age. Wow it's amazing. Well, I hope that this comment will show up on your blog. Just want you to know we care and we have learned from your experiences. Love you, Lannis

aurora said...

I can't say how happy I am to hear of your outings to the park and to the library instead of the hospital or the clinic!

You all deserve the happy family time that you are now enjoying.

Thanks for the reminders about cherishing our time together.