Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Back to Cook's for an MRI/CT Scan

I didn’t tell Payton where we were going today since I didn’t want to stress him out. On the way to the hospital Payton said “Mom, I’m not going to the doctor today, nope.” It amazes me that he recognizes the freeway and which direction we are heading when we head to Cook’s. When we arrived to the hospital I tried to distract Payton with a sword I had brought and a Webkinz frog. It seemed to work for a while until he realized what was going on. Payton didn’t have to drink contrast today so it wasn’t the long painful wait that we usually have. Although, it’s hard to tell a three year old that they can’t eat or drink anything when they think they are starving. We got right back to pre-anesthesia and the anesthesiologist came and talked to me about how he thought we should try and get Payton to do his CT scan awake and that I could stay with him during that part. I guess they believe they can get better results from the scan if they are awake. I told him that we could try, but I really didn’t think that it would happen. When we arrived to the CT room, Payton immediately started screaming, I really didn’t think that he would lay his head in the little box and let them strap him down. I finally convinced him that it was a rocket ship and that we were going to take a picture of him in the rocket ship. Needles to say, he freaked out, but he held still enough to get it done. After, we met with the anesthesiologist again and Payton’s port was accessed and he was given his anesthesia to go to sleep. Typically, Payton falls asleep really quick, but he really fought it today. I think they realized how hard it was to watch Payton squirm while several people tied him down since they told me it was that I left the room. Wow, that’s really hard to watch. Since we haven’t done MRI’s before, I didn’t realize the long wait that it is. It took 2 ½ hrs to complete. While I was waiting in the waiting room I was watching so many families come and go with their children. All it takes to humble me sometimes is to sit in a children’s hospital and watch some of the problems and trials that these kids and families go through. I watched a couple families cry after they had been called back probably to hear the results they didn’t want to hear. I was thinking to myself about all the struggles that we go through in life and what some of these kids have to go through. It amazes me how these kids come into our lives and mean the absolute world to us. Once we have them we don’t know what we would do without them. We take them and accept them and love them no matter what the situation or hand we are dealt with.

It was really hard going back to cook’s today. It is weird being away for some time and then going back. It brought back some really horrible and painful memories. Payton was pretty red and mad coming out of the anesthesia, but he usually does that. Luckily it doesn’t take him long to forget about it.

Dr. Heym called this evening and said that he had the results of the CT scan, but not the MRI. CT scan showed clean lung nodules. We should receive the results of the MRI tomorrow. Good news on the CT scan and we are hoping for the same on the MRI. I can finally breathe a little better. Hopefully tomorrow will be good news as well. Thanks for everyone's concern, love and prayers.






Outside of Cook's on the bench


Pre-anesthesia room











3 comments:

smithfamilyfun said...

Payton you rock! What a brave little soldier you are! We are so proud of the many trials you have overcome and how brave you have been. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! We love and miss you guys and are always thinking of you.

aurora said...

WooHoo! I am not sure what lung nodules are... but I KNOW that 'clean' is good! ♥
Great News! ☺

Nicole said...

I hope the MRI is clean also. Good luck. My kids are still asking when they are going to see Payton again. They remember from two years ago at the park. They pray for Payton every night. We love you all! Have fun in ID.