Wednesday, August 27, 2008

With Savannah being in school and Payton still sleeping in, I have spent my last few mornings reading some care pages and catching up with some of the little kids that we used to follow while Payton was going through treatment. I have to admit that I stopped reading them for a while, because it was making me too sad, but I decided that it would be good to start up again and also because my heart is still with these kids and they are always on my mind. I need to be reminded of this. Reading some of these has made me look back and remember the day that Payton was diagnosed and that is a day every cancer patient and their family always remember. I remember the indescribable fear I felt as cancer came crashing into our lives. The world we knew before this day is a thing of the past. Once the door has opened, there is no closing it again. It amazes me how MUCH it changes families. I see so many different situations; between relapse, multiple problems during treatment and the horrible lose of their loved ones. I love reading these because what these families teach is the true meaning of determination. It amazes me how something like this makes us appreciate the small things in life and cherish the relationships we have. Frequently, I hear these families remark to live each day to the fullest for you never know what tomorrow might bring. It always amazed me the strength that we had throughout this and the strength that I see that these families are given to get through this. How would you do it otherwise?

I have never in my life dealt with a situation in which I felt so little control and it has taught me to learn what the true meaning of FAITH is.

I can hardly believe that Payton is almost to his 6 month post-treatment mark. He is really doing great and has recovered nicely. I love that his hair is coming back and that he is filling out again. He seems to be catching up quite fast. Although, for some reason Payton likes to play a little rough, he is really sweet and isn’t intentionally mean, just likes to play rough. We are trying to teach him that he doesn’t have to be so tough, I don’t know if it’s because he has had to be a fighter the past year or if we are just now making up for missing out on the terrible two stage. Who knows what kind of delayed reaction this can all have on a three year old?

We start to get extremely nervous when thinking about the scans approaching next Friday (September the 5th). I can’t even let myself think about it. I hate that they are on a Friday, so we probably won’t see results until Monday; it’s a long time to wait.

1 comment:

aurora said...

Wow! He is already that far into post-treatment? That's amazing.
I am sure that you are all very nervous about the scan. What a roller coaster.
We'll be praying.