Friday, July 18, 2008

Adjusting to being back home.

It has been quite the adjustment of coming back from vacation and facing the reality of our lives. I dove back into work the following day (less than 12 hrs later) and Chad has had to get back into his school work with the hopes of graduating within the next year. It’s crazy when I think where we might be in our life a year from now. Grad school’s been quite the adventure for our family.

The kids are enjoying being at home. Payton asks the question every day “Can we get on a big airplane and go see Grandpa.” I can tell that he misses everyone and spends a lot of time talking about how much fun he had. We spent the week going swimming, to the movie “Horton hears a who”, and cooking hotdogs and smores in our fire pit. It has been miserably hot here. I believe that I heard we are in level Orange ozone today. Chad has been at school a lot this week so I have had the chance to bond with the kids. Our lives are so crazy there isn’t a single day during the week that we are all home together. Chad is gone Monday through Friday and I currently work Saturday and Sunday. That’s why this vacation was so nice. I will be ready for that part of our crazy life to end someday soon. In the meantime I will make the best of it.

I know that I have said this a hundred times over but I thoroughly love watching Payton play with his toys and being a little boy. Every morning I awake I wake up to purring. Payton pretends like he is a kitty daily and when I say “How’s my little kitty this morning,” he grins.

Cancer is always in the back of my head so I think that it makes me more patient and understanding than I normally would be if this hadn’t occurred. The past year is thought about often and I try not to stress out about how clean the house is and just live in the moment. I have a picture of our little buddy Julian on our fridge, the little boy that we knew that passed away from a brain tumor in January. I look at that picture every time I am frustrated and I soon forget about my problems. Julian and his family are thought of often and are such an inspiration to me.

Payton is due back at the clinic a week from today to have his port flushed and to line up his CT scan for September. I am amazed at how quickly these appointments come around and yet I will take this any day over what happened the past year.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

4 comments:

Greg Hanson said...

always difficult adjusting to the regular routine of life after a great vacation. welcome home though. and btw, i like the new blog layout.

aurora said...

I love your family picture and new look. :)

Glad that you all had such a magical vacation! And welcome back to normal life... enjoy your stay. :)

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I love your attitude. I'm so glad that you came out of last year with such a wonderful outlook on life.

And I'm glad I'm not enduring that horrid heat. Sorry. I thought about you yesterday as we drove through Bear Lake past all the cabins. I told Greg all about Pirates of Bear Lake. So fun!!

Ashley Mae McKnight said...

Cute new background and pics! I love it. Its always hard to adjust coming home but a part of you always wants to... but I have to admit that I also go through withdrawals like Payton- when I dont see Lynn for a while I get sad. He puts the sparkle into my day!