Sunday, December 13, 2009

Payton had his 21 month A/T scans this past Thursday. I had an appointment to meet with Dr. Bowman on Friday at 8:30. I could see that something was wrong when Dr. Bowman arrived in the room. He was avoiding my questions when asking him what the results of the scans were. After looking over Payton I was told they found an 8 mm hyper enhancing mass in Payton’s liver. Apparently they noticed the mass back in Sept 2009 where it measured 5.9 mm, but never said anything at the time. It is now a concern since it is growing in size. I felt like someone had sucked all of the air right out of me. I could hardly breathe and immediately broke down, asking many questions. Dr. Bowman said that it is either cancer or a hemangioma which is a noncancerous liver mass He said that he would need to get with Dr. Miller Payton’s previous surgeon and we would do one of two things…. 1) Try to open him up to remove the mass or 2) Watch it closely and see what happens. Dr. Bowman said that he would call me later after consulting with Dr. Miller and let us know their decision. I immediately called Chad; he immediately knew something was wrong by the tone in my voice. I lost it. I told Chad that I didn’t want to lose Payton. I cried the whole way home. It was a long day waiting for Dr. Bowman’s call and finally around 8:20 p.m. he made the call. He said that after consulting with Dr. Miller they have decided to wait on the surgery. He said to bring in Payton for an Ultra Sound on Tuesday with hopes of getting a better view of this. At this point we will follow up with more frequent visits and there is a possibility of ablating or zapping this mass and wait to see if it comes back. He said that because of Payton’s previous histology that we would have to watch him really close. Our hearts are broken and we are scared for our little guy. This was unexpected sudden news and our worst nightmare to say the least. The scary part is when Payton’s original Right Kidney was re-moved, he had lobes which extended up into his liver and they took a piece of his liver to biopsy it to make sure there were no signs of cancer. The test did show up negative. We are so concerned for our little guy and hurt. We are trying to stay optimistic and have faith that our little guy will be ok, that we will get the opportunity to watch him grow up. We are due to go on our Make a Which Trip to Disney World this coming Thursday. Dr. Bowman has approved for us to still go. But we are saddened to go with this bad news. We want to thank all of you for your love, prayers and concern. I will try to get better with my updates.

5 comments:

Tammie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
irbuanosraL said...

Hey Emily, reading this made my heart sink. I want to come over and give you a huge hug. I'll be keeping Payton and your family in my prayers. ♥ Aubri

Rochelleht said...

My heart is broken for you. I have just had a little grey cloud over me ever since I heard. I'm praying for you and him. We love you!!!

I'm SO glad you guys are still going to Florida. I hope you are able to relax somewhat and enjoy yourselves.

aurora said...

We are all so sad for this sudden news. He is in our prayers. We love you all!!! xox

Unknown said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so, so sorry for you.