Saturday, April 19, 2008

Relay for Life

We took Payton to the Relay for Life last night. What a neat experience it was as I held Payton’s little hand and I couldn’t help but get all choked up. As we were walking around the survivor lap, he smiled as everyone clapped for him and all the other survivors; I felt such happiness, appreciation to have him alive and such joy to be holding him. He is such a sweet little boy and I am so thankful everyday for him and for two great kids. We ran into one of Payton’s radiation nurses Linda and she was so glad to see Payton and to see him doing so well. I am so amazed at the nurses and what great people they are and at their unconditional love and concern for these kids that they have come in contact with. Even on their time off they are there supporting and attending these events. That is truly the kind of person that I want to be; what Christ like people they are. We also ran into Julian’s parents, the little boy that passed away in January from a brain tumor. They had set up a booth in his memory and it was so neat to see them there and their continued desire to raise money and bring awareness for cancer. What great people they are and what an inspiration they are to me. It was great to go and yet sad as well as it brings back emotionally tough memories. It was great to talk with these people that have gone through some of the same trials, concerns and worries that we have gone through. We were talking with some of the other families, about how we have all heard the comment "I bet you are so glad this is finally over". Yes, we are glad, but it’s different; there is a constant worry of relapse that we will always have and somehow we have to find a new outlook on life. I don’t know that our worry will ever be totally over. Even if we beat this, there will always be the concern of side effect that this chemo, radiation and CT scans will have on these kids. I have realized that is my test of faith. It was great to be around people that have been through this and understand what it is like. It was great to see some of the people that have touched our lives in so many ways.

Payton is getting stronger every day. I am so glad to see that he is starting to put on some weight. I love that he is starting to get his chubby cheeks back so that I can kiss on them. I love that he is starting to regain some of his energy and getting to see his personality come alive again. He had so much fun being his playful, silly self. How can you not have so much fullness and love in your heart for a little boy that has endured so much? He is my inspiration and is everything to me. It has really made me have a different outlook on life to why we are here, what’s really most important and what kind of person I want to be.


Payton with Nurse Linda


















6 comments:

Rochelleht said...

WOW! What a super neat experience. That takes the idea of the Special Olympics to a whole new level. I love it!!!

I can really see Payton filling out in the face. He looks GREAT!

smithfamilyfun said...

We are so proud of you guys, what a great picture to see Payton with his survivor sign. What a road you guys have traveled! Your strength is so admirable! We love and miss you guys so much.

Sheryl Johnston said...

Payton looks awesome!!!!! Glad to hear you enjoyed the relay

what part of text you guys from. My Step daughter and son in law just returned from there.'

Sheryl

aurora said...

That sounds like such an amazing event!

I agree that seeing Payton with the 'Survivor' banner is a fabulous picture. And he is definitely looking well.

Yeah!

Ashley Mae McKnight said...

That is so neat, those relay for life things make me wanna cry!! and yes Payton is filling out and getting some color back, he is adorable. It was good to hear from you! glad you guys had a fun visit here, your Mom and Dad were SO excited to have you guys come. You are the best blogger, just so you know!!!

ken said...

We loved seeing you guys! you go Payton!!!!!