Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Today has been a great day. I had to work this morning, but was so excited to come home and be with my kids. They gave me a frame with some pictures of them in the bluebonnets. Payton gets so excited to give gifts he tells me; open up the prize, mom. We also went over to my sisters and had dinner. After we came home Payton and I were sitting outside he said “Look at the Moon, Mom. Can we get on a rocket ship and ride to the moon together.” I thoroughly love and treasure every minute that I get to see and spend time with my kids. Time with them is so precious.

Payton’s hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are still coming in. He is looking so handsome and looks quite a bit different to me. It’s so weird to see him with eyelashes again, his eyes look so dark. And his hair looks as it is coming in brown. It looks as if it just took some time for the effects of the chemo to wear off in order for his hair to come back in. Payton has repeatedly complained of his stomach bothering the past several weeks. Every time he complained Chad and I would look at each other and just hold our breath. Thank goodness he hasn’t complained as much about it recently. Payton’s health is constantly on our minds and there is a constant fear of the rug being pulled from under us again. Hopefully this will get better with time.

Last night as I was giving my kids a bath I was watching them play, and thinking to myself what a wonderful Mother’s Day present this is to be able to watch my kids have so much fun. There is no other place that I would rather be, then sitting here watching them. Just under a year ago I was wondering if we were going to lose Payton. Our one year mark is coming up on June 1st, when Payton was diagnosed. Before this, I was going through life thinking that we were invincible and that Cancer happens to other people, not to me or my family, right? I had tears streaming down my face as I watched my kids and thought about the past year and all I’ve seen my little boy go through and how it affected Savannah as she worried for Payton. What better gift could you ask for than to have 2 wonderful kids? I have prayed everyday for the last year that I will be able to keep Payton. I have pleaded with the Lord to not take my little Payton and told him that I will not be able to carry on life without him. Payton is so special to me and without him in my life; my heart would be forever broken. Before all of this I was one to get really stressed out over little things. Not a day goes by that I don’t look at Payton and thank Heavenly Father that he is with me. And that’s it, NOTHING else matters. I am not going to spend time worrying about the small things in life. Does it take something like this to make us realize what we have? Does it take something like this to make us stop and enjoy the simplest things that sometimes we take for granted? I am so grateful that I was given the opportunity to be a Mother. Even though it has come with such hardships and heartache, I wouldn’t want it any other way. Thank Heavenly Father everyday for your kids and for your loved ones. What would we ever do without them?

I hope that you all have a Wonderful Day. Happy Mother’s Day To: My Mom, Mother-In-Law, Sister, Sister’s-In-Law, and all my Friends. I Love you all.





5 comments:

Greg Hanson said...

Payton looks great, and yes, so handsome. Good to hear things are going well and you sound like you're doing really well. I know my kids continue to pray daily for Payton and your family to continue to heal. May God's blessings continue to flow to your life.

aurora said...

Payton does look great. I just wanted to rub his fuzzy head yesterday at church. Of course I always wanted to rub his little bald head, too, but I resisted. He would have been looking at me like, 'who are you, and why are you rubbing my head?!?'
So glad that you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You totally deserve it, Girlie.

Rochelleht said...

That was beautiful, Emily. Thanks for that. You are right, nothing else matters!!

aubs33 said...

Wow Emily you write so beautifully. Truly heart touching words. I know what you mean about being so grateful for your kids/family and how nothing else matters. Thanks for further teaching me that lesson from the way you handled your experience with your baby. ♥ Peyton is such a little miracle.

smithfamilyfun said...

Thanks for being such a great mommy to my niece and nephew! They have some of the best parents on earth!