Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Payton's Port Removal Surgery...

When we awoke Payton this morning he was not thrilled to get out of bed. When we arrived at Cook’s he said “I just want to go home now.” He really did remarkably well though. It was a bit of a wait before the surgery since Dr. Miller was running a little behind. They gave Payton some medicine to help settle him down and to make him so he didn’t care. He was rambling on and we couldn’t understand most of what he was saying. He kept on saying “I love you mom.” Finally it was our turn and they came to wheel him out thanks to the medicine he didn’t get upset. The surgery went well and Payton’s port was successfully removed. You would think that each surgery/procedure would get easier, but it doesn’t. I still hurt every time I have to say goodbye to him, knowing what he will have to go through. Payton was really sleepy and had a hard time waking up after the anesthesia. Once he awoke he really did great. In recovery, there was a little boy who was crying across from us and Payton said “He’s tired; he needs to go home and take a nappy.” After some apple juice and a popsicle Payton decided he was ready to go home and so were we. They gave us some pain meds and we were sent home. Also, Dr. Miller gave us Payton’s port, both Chad and I commented that the port brings back memories of all the times he was accessed and all the times he had to be poked multiple times because it wouldn’t flush. I fell so blessed that everything went well today.
















7 comments:

Tanalyn said...

Oh,I am so glad that all went well!I think that they need to give that medication to the mothers as well as the child.It may make things better for everybody.Yea right!

Rochelleht said...

YEAH! I'm so glad you are done with that. What a blessing. I can well imagine it was still hard, though. What a little sweet pumpkin.

On a totally shallow note, your hair looks fabulous. ;-)

aurora said...

Phew! What a relief to have that removed and to not have to worry about the port anymore. So glad that it went well.
I agree on the need for MommyMeds; oh, and yes, LOVE the hair. ;)

Emily said...

Meds for moms, sounds like a great idea, I had a serious migraine by the end of the day. You are all so sweet and make me feel good, thank you!

Rebecca said...

He is so darling and looking more and more healthy. Another step towards a healthy and happy recovery. I'm so glad that everything went well.

irbuanosraL said...

I doubt it would ever ever get easier seeing your baby go into surgery no matter what it's for. I am so glad he's okay.

Jacqui said...

Hi my name is Jacqui.... After typing in chemo port removal your site came up on my computer. My son Isaac is having his port removed tomorrow morning at Princess Margaret hospital in Perth Western Australia. I was happy to hear that all went well for you Payton and your family, as my son has had the same diagnosis as you of a wilm's tumour and at the same stage. They removed his kidney and the massive tumour on the 31/10/08 and has just finished all his radiation and chemo treatments in May 2009. As I am a little anxious about tomorrow I thought I would google his next process, I am wondering about how payton's recovery from this was as to Isaac's schooling etc afterwards. So pleased to hear all is well for you and your family now...our lives have changed immensely since this has happened to us also!

Regards Jacqui Andreoli