Tuesday, April 12, 2011

1 year mark


I can hardly believe that it has been a year to the date April the 12th, that Payton went in for surgery to find out what the growth on his liver was. I look back and recall what an extremely stressful time this was for my family. We were so scared and worried if we would be facing a relapse. Every day I have this experience as a constant reminder to remember to stop worrying about the things that we have no control over and the things that we cannot change. I can honestly say that through all of my challenges with Payton that I have come through with an entirely different perspective on life. I have learned not to threat about the small things that we cannot change and to remember the bigger picture. Still to this day we are dealing with the repercussions of the chemo and radiation that Payton received. Every trip to the dentist I am reminded of the effects that the chemo has had on Payton and will still continue to have on his teeth. At school, I am reminded of how spending 12 months of isolation in the hospital has put him behind. It feels like this is constantly staring us in the face. But the best part of all, every six months when we have our scans, I am reminded that I still have my son. And it doesn’t matter what we have been through or what we will continue to go through, the bigger picture is that I have him with me by my side. I am truly grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that has carried me through the past 4 years. I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for him. I am grateful for the test of faith that I have learned and still continue to learn. Everyday seems like an adventure with Payton, but it is so worth it, no matter what we have to go through. Today is another huge milestone in our life. I am extremely grateful to have my little guy by my side.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Emily,

You sure take great pictures! They mean so much to us to be part of this special event in Payton's life. We sure love your family!

Love Dad and Mom

Rochelleht said...

SO glad he is healthy!! You are such a great mom!

Lynnie said...

Hey Emily, Just saying hi! You are so good with words! I am so glad the scans are clear. I can relate so much to what you say. Hugs!

Victoria said...

I just saw that you left a comment on my blog :) It is hard to believe it has been a year since I had sweet Payton in my class.
I am staying home with our son and thinking about homeschooling. Children are truly a gift from the Lord! Your posts are always precious and remind me to give thanks in every circumstance.
Hug Payton for me and tell him I wish I was still his teacher.