Sunday, January 9, 2011

Every year I have the kids pick out a gift for their Dad for Christmas. I had been asking Payton for weeks what he wanted to get his Dad. Each time I would ask him I would get the same response, “Dad really wants a star wars light saber.” I ignored Payton and continued to ask him to think of something else. A couple days before Christmas I took Payton into Target and told him it was time to get Dad’s present. I went to the Clothing Department and started looking around at some shirts that Payton could get him. Next thing I notice, Payton is on the floor crying and telling me, “That is not what Dad wants for Christmas, he really wants a blue light saber, so that he can play Star Wars with me.” I realized at that moment that there is nothing that I could buy that would make Payton more excited to give his Dad, then a blue light saber. I told Payton to get up off the ground, that we would go look to see if they had a light saber. He immediately jumped up with a big grin on his face and said “Dad, is going to be so, so excited.” We walked back to the toy department and Payton found the perfect blue light saber for his Dad. Payton walked around the store while I finished with my shopping, swinging the light saber around and making funny noises (the noises that a light saber would make.) He helped me purchase it and wrapped it himself. Christmas morning came and I think that Chad’s face was just as lit up as Payton’s was. Chad knew how excited Payton was to give him this special gift.

Payton also wanted a light saber for Christmas from Santa. When we would ask him what he wanted, he would tell us, all I want is a red light saber. He was so excited that Santa brought him a red light saber for Christmas as well, so that he could play with his Dad. This will always be a Christmas that I will remember.







1 comment:

Rochelleht said...

That totally made me laugh out loud! He is so stinkin' cute. What a good mom you are!!